It can’t be denied: when people pack for a move, they purge unwanted items. Whether you’re moving to a smaller place, or realize you just don’t need all the things you have, we can help. We assist with pre-move sorting and de-cluttering, saving you the cost of moving things you no longer need and preparing your home to show at its best.
Once you sort through all your stuff, you’ll likely discover you’ve got more than you need. We remove small quantities of your belongings for an additional fee. For bigger jobs, a third party can be hired.
This option will appeal to those who’d rather do the work themselves, but could benefit from some advice. We perform an assessment, then provide tips on how to get started, what to keep in mind when you’re putting the space back together, and recommend products to help facilitate the transition from chaos to calm.
If time just isn’t on your side, we will pick up any items needed to move forward with the organizing project. There is no mark-up on the products purchased; retail amounts to be reimbursed will be included on your next invoice. An hourly fee is charged for the time spent shopping.
This is the real work. We return to your home to sort, purge, label — whatever it takes to get you organized. And you’ll be involved every step of the way. Once we determine how much stuff you have, we suggest new ways to store your belongings and facilitate the transition from chaos to calm.
We return to your home for as many sessions as needed; just let us know what fits your schedule.
This is the walkabout. We come to your home and spend some time looking at each of the areas where you would like some help. We discuss areas of concern and begin to understand how you would like the space to be used. With your permission, we will take pictures to be used for reference purposes only.
This consult will last approximately one hour.
Just like housework, organizing and decluttering are never complete. There is always something else to do. If you neglect maintenance for too long, backsliding can, and often does, happen.
Losing ground with your organizing progress is common and normal. If this happens to you, don’t worry. It’s easy to get back on track.
First, assess the reasons why you lost ground. Backsliding generally happens for three reasons:
- Your needs changed. To be effective in the long term, organizing systems must keep pace with your changing needs. Did you take up a new hobby or sport? Perhaps you inherited belongings from a loved one who passed? If you experienced these or other changes, then old storage systems that worked fine previously might now be ineffective given your new requirements.
- Your lifestyle changed. Did you become newly single? Was there an addition to your family? Did you move into a different home?
- Your results were not maintained. Did you lack the motivation to perform regular maintenance activities? Or was it an ability issue or a lack of time?
Whatever the reason that you experienced backsliding, you can get back on track. Here’s what you need to do:
- Reassess your needs. Declutter your problem space, sort and categorize your belongings, and create a place for everything.
- Address your challenges. Whether motivation, ability, or time is your issue, here are some tips to help you move ahead:
Make it fun. Choose a day when you are free from other distractions, pour yourself a glass of wine or other beverage, crank up the tunes, and get moving.
Get help. Invite a family member or friend to help you or hire an Organizing Pro to do it for you.
Reward yourself. Once you are finished, treat yourself to a nice meal at your favourite restaurant or something else that you really want.
- Create a schedule for regular maintenance.
Add organizing to your housekeeping routine. When you are doing your weekly cleaning and tidying, take the time to put things back in their place and remove items that you no longer need or want.
Schedule monthly or quarterly organizing maintenance sessions. Target your problem areas. For example, if your closet tends to get out of control, declutter and your wardrobe every time the season changes.
Re-assess your organization systems once a year. Consider your present and near future needs and change or upgrade as required.
By performing regular maintence, you’ll stay organized for life. If you backslide, recognize that it is a normal and temporary occurance and that you can get back on track.
If you begin to feel anxious and overwhelmed, consult your Organizing Pro for assistance. We can help you to become empowered and regain your control.
Once you are organized, it’s relatively easy to maintain your results. All you have to do is use the same tools and techniques that you used to get organized in the first place.
Here are eight tips for staying organized:
- Go Public. The best leverage is social leverage. Tell everyone you know that you’ve conquered your clutter once and for all. The respect and admiration that you receive will motivate you to maintain the status quo.
- Add Organizing to Your Cleanup Routine. When you do your weekly cleaning, take time to put things back in their place and to get rid of unwanted items.
- Recruit Your Family. Don’t try to do it alone. Make sure everyone knows what you are trying to accomplish and assign at least one ongoing maintenance task to each capable member.
- Focus on Your Trouble Spots. Identify the biggest source of clutter in your home. Target this problem area during your regular organizing and decluttering sessions.
- Put Things Back in Their Place Immediately After Use. This will make staying organized a cynch!
- Adopt a One in, One Out Policy. If you buy a new item, then discard, sell, or donate an equivalent item.
- Declutter Your Wardrobe After Every Season. Clothing, footware and accessories are among the biggest sources of household clutter. Every time the season changes, go through everything and get rid of belongings that are damaged, out of fashion, and that no longer fit.
- Change or Upgrade Organizing Systems as Required. As your family grows and your lifestyle changes, update your organizing system to fit your evolving needs.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to maintain your organizing results for as long as you wish, without having to rely on an Organizer Pro. Best of all, you’ll continue to enjoy all the many benefits of being organized.
What Can I Do to Jumpstart the Organizing Process Before the First Session With My Home Organizing Expert?
Getting a headstart on your organizing project is easier and more beneficial than you might think. A little bit of action on your part can start the ball rolling towards bigger and better results later. You’ll feel empowered by small gains and motivated to do even more.
But be cautioned. The idea at this stage is to get your feet wet, not to get in over your head as you could easily become overwhelmed. Keep it simple and don’t overdo it.
Here are six quick fixes to get you started:
- Remove 5 large peices of clutter from your home. You can make a big difference in a short time by targeting large objects. Remove a broken lawn mower from your garage, an out of style heavy winter coat from your closet, and a rusty bicycle from your shed and you’ll make an immediate impact
- Spend 15 minutes putting things back in their place. Put books on the shelf, CDs in their cases, and shoes on the rack. You’ll be amazed at the difference that these small activities can make.
- Pick 5 belongings out of your closet for donation. Choose things in good condition that you no longer wear. Donate them todayT
- Throw out 10 food related items that are dated. Remove unwanted, spoiled, and expired food from your fridge and cupboard and put them in the trash.
- Declutter your bathroom cabinet. Get rid of things that you haven’t used in a year or longer and are unlikely to use again. Throw out expired medications and old cosmetics.
- Fill a garbage bag with unwanted stuff. Grab the pizza box in the garage, empty the bathroom waste bin, and throw out old newspapers. When the bag is full, you’re done.
These small actions will provide big results and help you to become empowered. By the time your home organizing expert arrives, you’ll feel energized and motivated to do even better.
Organizing and decluttering are two terms that are often using interchangeably. It’s no surprise then that there is often confusion about what they mean and how they are connected.
Decluttering is first step in the organization process, and sometimes the only step. Examples of jobs that primarily involve decluttering are estate clearing and debris removal.
During this task, items are examined one by one or in groups to determine whether they add value. Decisions are made about whether to keep, discard, sell, or donate each item.
Once the clutter has been cleared, the organization process continues. The keepers are sorted and categorized and everything else is removed from the premises. Determinations are made regarding appropriate storage solutions, products are sourced and installed, and belongings are packed in the most optimal way.
The role of a Home Organizer Consultant is to provide advice and guidance. We can help you to make choices about whether to keep items or let go of them but, ultimately, the final decision is yours to make.
Although you are the one who is in control, it is important to understand that parting with some of the things that you own is often an essential part of the organization process. The reality is that most of us simply have too much stuff and not enough space in which to store it.
If the thought of parting with some of your belongings causes you to feel stressed, here’s a strategy for getting the leverage to take action in spite of your feelings. Write down all the things that you stand to lose (including the negative feelings that you’ll continue to have) if you maintain the status quo. Your list may include some or all of the following:
- Clutter related stress and anxiety.
- Embarassment over the appearance of your home.
- Risk of injury.
- Disempowerment and loss of control.
- Frustation at not being able to find things when you need them.
- Disharmony within your family.
Next, write down all the things that you stand to gain by conquering clutter and getting organized, which may include some or all of the following:
- Becoming empowered and in control.
- Saving time as you’ll be able to find things faster and easier.
- Enhancing the comfort of your space.
- Taking pride in your home.
- Enjoying the company of others without fear of criticism.
Your answers to these these questions will help you to associate decluttering with moving away from pain and moving towards pleasure. In order to become successfully organized, you must be prepared to make objective decisions about what to do with the belongings that add no real value.
I’m Too Embarrassed About My Clutter to Let Anyone See My Space. How Can I Deal With My Feelings and Move Ahead?
Are you so embarrassed about your clutter that you avoid hiring a Home Personal Organizer for fear of being judged? Though your feelings are valid, when you stop to consider them, they may not always be rational. Ponder the following questions:
- Would you avoid going to the Dentist because you think you have a cavity?
- Would you avoid getting your hair coloured because of embarrassment over your roots?
- Would a soot problem cause you not to hire a chimney sweep?
Of course it wouldn’t! So why would you let embarrassment about your clutter stop you from hiring a Professional Organizer?
We specialize in helping people just like you. Our role is to help you you move forward with dignity, not to judge or scold.
If you need to get organized, your first decision is whether you should tackle the job yourself or hire a Professional to help you. Although doing it yourself might seem like a tempting option, you should consider the facts before acting.
You can enjoy many advantages and benefits by hiring a Personal Home Organizer. We spend years honing our skills, studying techniques, learning about products, and making contacts with suppliers. As a result, you’ll get the results that you want faster and with far less effort. You may even save money on products.
Like any skill, organizing takes time to develop. We have years of experience to draw upon. We can quickly and efficiently assess your space and determine custom solutions that will work for you. You’ll get results in a fraction of the time and avoid the costs of trial and error.
Our knowledge of organizing products and systems will save you the time and energy that would have been spent researching and sourcing alternatives. We can even arrange for assembly and installation. The bottom line is that you’ll expend far less effort and experience fewer hassles getting the job done.
Unless you’re a committed do it yourselfer with a lot of time energy, and patience, hiring an expert is likely your best option. To find out more about our company, click the “Services” tab on the left hand menu.
At $165 + HST per 3.5 hour session, we’re confident that our services are competitively priced, affordable, and value for money. Nevertheless, we do understand that there are some clients who have a very small budget. If that’s your situation, then we can still help you to achieve your organization goals. By actively participating in the process, completing prep work ahead of time, and finishing assignments between sessions, you can get the results that you want for less.
During your initial consultation, we’ll discuss your needs and determine a plan of action. If desired, we’ll assign tasks that you can complete prior to your first session. If you need to have your garage organized, for example, you could start emptying the space a couple of hours early. That way, by the time your specialist arrives, the job is already well under way.
Here are some other ways that you could reduce the time that you spend with a Pro Organizer:
- Make sure that your schedule is clear and that you are able to concentrate on the tasks at hand without distractions.
- Deal with your feelings ahead of time and be prepared to part with some of your belongings.
- Start decluttering in advance. Get rid of items that you no longer want before your specialist arrives.
Once your sessions are under way, you can further reduce your costs by completing work on your own. Ask your Organizer to suggest tasks that you can perform before the next session.
By actively participating in the process, you can benefit from the knowledge and experience of a Pro Organizer, and stay within your budget. You’ll get the results that you want for a fraction of the cost.
The purpose of a consultation is to give you an opportunity to determine whether there is a good fit between your requirements and our services. During this meeting, we’ll discuss your needs and the results that you would like to achieve.
The consultation provides you with a chance to meet your Organizer and to ask questions and raise concerns. We never expect you to make a decision on the spot. You can take your time and get back to us at your convenience.
Here’s what we’ll discuss in your needs assessment:
- Your space. Would you like to focus on a specific area, like a closet, or your entire home?
- Your needs. What kinds of things do you store in your space and how much of each do you have?
- Your existing storage systems. Are your current systems adequate or do they need to be upgraded?
Next, we’ll review your expectations:
- The results that you want. What do you hope to achieve in terms of your space, your health, and your lifestyle?
- How soon you need the work completed. Are you planning months in advance or do you need it done yesterday?
- Your intended level of participation. Do you want to be involved every step of the way or do you want to do as little as possible?
Once we understand your needs, we’ll discuss what we can do for you as well as estimated costs. We’ll answer any remaining questions that you may have and then give you some time to make your decision. Our consultations are free and you have absolutely no obligation to proceed.
Improve Your Mental and Emotional Health:
- Become empowered and get back in control of your environment.
- Enjoy peace of mind.
- Reduce frustration.
- Reduce stress and anxiety.
- Eliminate embarassment and show off your space with pride.
Maintain Your Physical Health:
- Remove the fire hazards created by clutter.
- Reduce risk of injury from tripping over piles of random stuff.
Enhance the Appeal of Your Property:
- Improve your home’s aesthetic appearance.
- Enhance the comfort of your home.
- Increase perceived value of your property.
- Locate belongings faster.
- Complete chores in less time.
- Avoid having to buy duplicates because you can’t find things.
- Get it done right the first time and avoid the expense of “trial and error”.
- Find space you didn’t know you had.
- Store more of what matters.
Reduce Your Workload:
- Complete your chores with less effort.
- Make cleaning easier.
One Stop Services:
- The convenience of dealing with one service provider for all of your home organizing needs.
- Avoid the hassles of hiring different companies for each component of your project.
- Enjoy the efficiencies that all in one services allow and get your job completed faster, saving time, money, and effort.
Value Added Services:
- Schedule times that are convenient for you. We work mornings, afternoons, and evenings, weekdays and weekends.
- Enjoy the convenience of having unwanted belongings removed from your property.
- Get help selling belongings that you no longer need, saving you time and effort and earning you money.
- Receive assistance choosing, sourcing, and assembling the optimal products for your needs, saving you time and work.
Customer Focused Solutions:
- Receive solutions that are customized to address your specific problems.
- Become empowered and in control of your environment.
- Get functional and practical results that last and are easy to maintain.
Too Much Stuff:
- Clutter related stress and anxiety.
- Frustration because you can’t find things when you need them.
- Your space is unpleasant to inhabit.
- It takes a lot of time and effort to clean and tidy your home.
- It’s hard to move around your home because there always seems to be something in the way, creating a fire hazard and risk of injury.
- Your clutter is a source of shame and embarassment.
- You feel overwhelmed and disempowered and you just don’t know where to begin.
- Make a plan prioritized by urgency and importance to achieve immediate gains and empower you to push forward.
- Break the job down by room and area to make tasks manageable.
- Go through everything item by item and help you to make decisions about which belongings add value and which ones just occupy space, bringing clarity and peace of mind.
- Help you to discard, sell, or donate things, as desired, to save you time and effort.
- Remove unwanted items from your property for your convenience.
Not Enough Storage Space:
- Accmulation of random clutter creating embarassment, stress, and anxiety.
- You have no where to put things causing frustration.
- You move things from one space to another in a futile attempt to clear your clutter, wasting your time and energy.
- Clutter reappears as quickly as you can clear it creating a sense of overwhelm and disempowerment.
- Help you to get rid of things that you no longer want or use, freeing up space.
- Harness under utilized spaces to maximize available storage room.
- Use organizing systems and techniques to optimize your use of space.
- Incorporate organizing products to help you store more in less space.
Inadequate Storage Solutions:
- Storage spaces that are overflowing, making it difficult to find things when you need them.
- It’s hard to find a place for things so they end up getting lumped together in an unsightly mess.
- Customize storage systems to control clutter and enhance aesthetic appeal.
- Create a place for everything so that maintaining your results is easy.
Your Home and Condo:
- No where to put stuff.
- Not enough space.
- Random accumulation of clutter.
- Inadequate storage options.
These issues can, in turn, create stress and anxiety, make it frustrating to find things, and make tidying up a challenge. The solutions are to:
- Get rid of household clutter to free up space.
- Harness under used storage space to make room for the things that matter.
- Designate a place for everything so that finding and restoring things is easy.
- Create practical and functional storage solutions that are customized according to your needs.
- Out of control wardrobe clutter.
- Shelf and rod organizers that are inadequate for your needs.
- Insufficient storage area.
These issues can cause you to run out of closet space, leaving you without the room to store new purchases. You may have difficulty finding things when you need them and then putting them back in place when you are done. Here are our customized solutions:
- Get rid of clothes, footware and accessories that you no longer wear to free up space.
- Sort and categorize your belongings so that you can easily find the things you need.
- Create a home for everything so that putting things back in place is easy.
- Customize a closet organizing system to harness every inch of available space and make room for everything that’s important to you.
Your Unfinished Basement, Garage, and Storage Locker:
- Random accumulation of miscellaneous stuff.
- Lack of a storage plan.
- Ineffective storage solutions.
Disorganization in these spaces makes it difficult to find and retrieve things when you need them. Indeed, you may even forget what is stored there. It can also create fire hazards, risk of injury, and cause damage to your belongings. Here are the solutions:
- Get rid of things that you no longer need or want to make room for the things that matter.
- Divide your belongings into categories and create storage zones for each category so that everything has a place.
- Customize organizing systems so that you can easily locate and access things when you need them.
- Store everything according to frequency of use to make putting things back in their place easy and convenient.
To save time:
- to get things done faster.
- to avoid the potential delays of trial and error.
- to tap into the knowledge and experience of a Professional Organizer and get the job done right, the first time.
- to reduce the time and effort that you need to expend to get organized.
- to minimize your involvement and avoid having to worry about the details.
To cope with negative emotions:
- to reduce clutter related stress and anxiety.
- to regain control and feel empowered.
- to reduce the frustration that you feel when you can’t find things.
To increase productivity:
- to get chores completed faster and easier.
- to locate and retrieve things with less effort.
To improve your home:
- to enhance the perceived value of your property.
- to improve the aesthetic appearance of your space.
- to make your home more comfortable.
- Guide your decisions about what to do with your belongings, empowering you to make optimal choices for your needs.
- Help you deal with your feelings of overwhelm and frustration, providing peace of mind.
- Relieve your clutter related stress and anxiety by putting you back in control of your environment.
- Donate belongings to your favourite charities, as desired, saving you time.
- Assist you in selling things through garage sales, classified ads, and online auctions, as appropriate, helping you earn money.
- Discard broken, worn out, and damaged stuff for your convenience.
- Sort like with like so that you’ll easily be able to locate belongings when you need them.
- Group belongings together in categories and sub-categories so that you can find things faster and remember where to put them when you’re done, making cleanup a breeze.
- Expand your storage area by harnessing under utilized space.
- Identify appropriate storage solutions to help you store more of what matters.
- Source, assemble and install organizing products and systems, as desired, for your convenience.
- Pack and arrange your stuff to optimize your use of space and make it easy to locate and retrieve your belongings.
- Complete regular sessions to help you maintain your results with minimal effort.
- Upgrade your organizing systems as your needs evolve, providing the peace of mind that comes with a lasting solution.
We book sessions weekdays, weeknights, and weekends from:
- 9 AM – 12 Noon
- 1 PM – 4 PM
- 6 PM – 9 PM
The times in between are reserved for travel. We also book on Saturdays and Sundays if the client requires weekend service. There is no additional charge for weekend hours.
Our fee is $185 plus HST per 3.5 hour session. The range of Professional Organizer fees in Toronto is generally $50-$100/hour. At the equivalent of $55/hour, our fee is an excellent comparative value. Prices are subject to change, based on individual requirements. Please contact us for a firm quote.
Toronto and the GTA, including Mississauga, North York, Etobicoke, Burlington, Milton, Oakville, and Scarborough.
We can help you to:
- Regain control of your environment.
- Alleviate clutter related stress and anxiety.
- Enhance the aesthetic appeal of your home.
- Reduce the time it takes to clean and tidy your space.
- Arrange your space so that you can quickly and easily locate your belongings.
- Store more of what matters.